Sunday, September 9, 2007

In Recent News

Well I feel like I should update on what's actually happening here instead of just writing random poems describing my mental state.

Yesterday was the OB service project. Requiring us to get up at 8 in the morning on a saturday to go help and serve the community does not sound like a good plan for a college campus, however the turnout was surprisingly large. Or maybe not so surprisingly large considered it is Grove City. Anyway, myself, Henry, Kevin, and Adam were the only brave adventurers from our side of Hicks. After grabbing a quick bit to eat we headed out to the IM room to meet up with out mentor groups, and do some serving. Regardless to say after my last mentor group dinner, where our intrepid leader Dale decided to eat at MAP instead of Hicks or the SAC, I was a little skeptical about what our mentor group was going to be capable of doing. Needless to say only 3 of the actual members of our group showed up: me, Andrew, and Tiffany. Of course this was all balanced out by sweet mentor group leaders Channing and Ashley to help Dale make better dining decisions.

So as we were heading out of the IM room we decided to get breakfast. Sigh. If I had known that we were going to get breakfast with the mentor groups I could have easily slept another 15-20 minutes in the morning. Well as we were finishing breakfast, during which Ashley reprimanded Dale for his obvious lack of tastebuds after he said he thought the food at MAP was just as good as Hicks, we embarked on our journey combining ourselves with another sweet mentor group. We left campus and headed to a trailer park behind the perennial amazing supermarket place, County Market, where we split into smaller groups and did various miscellanious chores for several of the older citizens living there.

My group consisting of myself, Channing, and Andrew volunteered to tackle a project vaguely described as "yard work, and there is mold on the house skirting". We arrive at the house and indeed find there is mold as well as a interesting problem of two boards that used to be in the ground now out of the ground. So me and all my trench digging abilities from helping my dad set up fences decided to embark upon that project, while Channing and Andrew tackled the mold. Strangely enough, I soon learned that the woman we were helping was my Spanish teacher's aunt. It's a small world after all....well this project took me a good 45 minutes to an hour as I was making sure to dig correctly and line everything up, while trying to remove the rocks that were blocking the board's intended path.

During this time, Andrew set off trying to clear the woods of some skunk cabbage which had apparently been smelling up the area. Now seeing as I was apparently the only one who knew what skunk cabbage looked like, I tried to describe it to him. I didn't do so great of a job, because about 15 minutes later he came back around with some random weed of sorts and asked if it was skunk cabbage. It wasn't so I then decided maybe I should head back and search for the skunk cabbage myself. There was only one skunk cabbage, but let me tell you, it was the largest one I have ever seen, which, in retrospect, may explain why Andrew could not find it based on my description. So we removed that, I finished up the board thing, and we left her house in much better condition and minus one smelly problem. And we got cookies!!

So then after this, and a potentially bad incident in which we parked in someone's space, which I still don't understand why it would make someone that mad, we headed to Sheetz to get some food and then to Memorial Park for a picnic of sorts. While in Sheetz we observed a pewter sculpture of The Last Supper, and were having quite a deal of fun placing various other pewter statues in this scene. Then we went to the park, ate, and played some frisbee to cap off an amazing morning. And the other mentor group was really sweet, and I met some really cool people that I hope to see around campus some more.

So that was the OB service project, well worth getting up for. To all of you at home reading this, I miss you guys a ton.

No comments: