Well today marked the first practice of the freshman frisbee tournament hopeful's "Carl's Heroes". This also meant the first meeting of the three girls on our team, Emma, Sarah, and Kelsey. Firstly, I was actually surprised that they came to practice with us, and they also were quite decent which made me very excited for our chances tomorrow...or should I say later today?
Today also marked our first intervis experience! (insert shocked and crazed face here) We actually set foot inside the girl halls!! Yeah, its really not that big of a deal...actually it was sorta boring. A couple things I realized however. One: girls dorms are so much better decorated than guys dorms. The room we went in was really cool, had a ton of pictures everywhere, and just had a cool ambience. This stands in stark contrast with our hall at Hicks, where I am the sole possessor of the most pictures on the hall and I only have 12. Two: it's still akward meeting new girls in college, even if they aren't drop-dead gorgeous and you aren't even seeking a relationship at all. It's so weird, because in high school I knew a ton of girls, and I was used to how easy it was to hang out with them and talk, and I feel like I'm in junior high all over again here. Well, it's not that bad, because I smell a whole lot better and am a little more mature anyway. Three: just like high school, there is some kind of social hierarchy depending on if you talk to girls, and have multiple friends that are girls...oh yeah, more points if they are attractive too (actually that often offers the most points). It's really quite horrible, yet I still manage sometimes to get sucked into it, which makes me sad sometimes. I mean, I would like to have friends that are girls in college, because I love the perspective of girls, and they bring so many great qualities to the table that guys simply lack. But I never want to have friends that are girls simply so I won't be considered a loser...that defeats the whole purpose. Girls aren't there so that us guys can be friends with them and then brag how many "hot" girls are our friends. That's just not the way it should work. Girls are human beings, not things to measure your status in society by, please treat them like people.
"If I could find you now things would get better, we could leave this town and run forever, I know somewhere somehow we'll be together."-Ocean Avenue, Yellowcard
And in all of this crazy talk about girls, there is one who I love. And my social status may take a hit in college because I'm not chasing after any hot girl I see, but that's fine with me. Why should I give up the one thing I'm more certain about than nearly anything else in my life for a mere 4 year popularity contest? I'll let you answer that one, and I'm guessing you know the answer. So, for the next four years, I plan on making a few good female friends, but you won't see me in the pimp category anytime soon. Those days are long over, and I hope to God they always will be. Someone else can take that title, and I'm fine with that...because one beautiful girl is better than a thousand hot ones. And I've found mine...so don't assume because I'm not chasing girls in college doesn't mean I can't, it simply means there are more important things to me than that. A lot more important. Love you. (and you know who you are)
Every new beginning…
11 years ago
3 comments:
Aw shucks, i didn't know you cared so much!
Okay, kidding aside, pretty cool post. I definitely agree with the quality superceding quantity thing, especially given your circumstances. In my own case i know i'll never fall under the "pimp" classification either, so that's really not an issue. I figure, i'm looking for a wife, but it's not my timing; it's God's. Sure, i'll keep my eyes open and try to be reasonably suave when possible, but more because that's how i should be, not because it's gonna score me points. One of my friends put it nicely. He said, when it comes to finding a wife: If you're truly following God's will, then you're walking around in life looking up at God. And hopefully, so is your wife. So one day, the two of you are walking around staring up in the sky and He'll make you bump right into each other.
IDK, i liked the analogy. We don't need to figure things out for God; His will is already in place so anything we do that's absolutely ridiculous (though not necessarily everything we do that's really romantic) is really just telling God we can do this alone. And that's not what i'm "about."
Bravo my friend bravo. I'm far to happy with my nerd status to fall under the pimp status. I always love your posts. It just shows that theres some other people out there with a similar respect for the opposite sex. As for empyreal man i feel like im in your shoes brother. I gotta stop looking ahead so much and looking to the skies more often.
Amen - 3 times in Songs of Solomon does he say "do not awaken love before its time". Like you so eloquently put - why waste your time? Why not give your WHOLE heart to who God has for you for the rest of your life? The first kiss will be with her. The first holding of hands will be with her. All the events that make your hold your breath and your heart skip a beat. <3 Who would want to waste that stuff on someone that wont be around or you may not even remember their name?
Post a Comment