Monday, July 21, 2008

Politics vs. People

I don't understand politics and the things it does to people. To be frank the pickings are mighty slim in this year's election, but I think it provides an interesting case study in how people perceive others. Politics divides people more than almost any other thing in the world and I really don't think it should.

For instance most Christians I know really dislike Senator Obama. It's not just disagreement with his political views, which I disagree with for the most part, but an actual dislike of the man. Has he done anything to warrant this hatred? Sure maybe he's been wishy-washy on issues or said some things that have offended people, but is he an evil man? Maybe to certain people he is, but I really don't think the man is the second coming of Satan.

Actually, the Senator is a very likable man with some very good ideas. Do I think he would make a good President? No, not really, because he does not have enough experience or knowledge of the entire spectrum of things the President has to deal with. However, there have been several speeches the Senator has made and things he has done to reach out to all corners of the populous that make me admire him as a man, not a politician.

On Father's Day the Senator gave a speech imploring young African-American men to stop having babies and then leaving them without a father. A very pertinent message that is truthful and needed in those communities. A little while ago, the Senator spoke about how he feels it is important for children in America to be bilingual, something I agree with emphatically. Yet, the next day on the Rush Limbaugh show, the host was criticizing him and pointing to the fact English is spoken on airlines across the country as a reason against children learning a second language. Why can't conservatives admit that Senator Obama has some good ideas? Would that make them into liberal pawns?

Just because someone has different ideas and even possibly an agenda you don't agree with doesn't mean everything he says is wrong. And it certainly doesn't mean that he should be hated. I understand that it is difficult to find the good in people you disagree with, but sometimes it is necessary. It's hard enough to find good in this world, and condemning everything said by someone simply because you don't agree with them wholeheartedly only makes it harder.

The Bible says we are to love people. Senator Obama is a person. Therefore, we are to love Senator Obama, and maybe if we look at it that way, we can see that although he probably isn't the best choice to lead this country in the future, he has some things to say that are worth hearing.

No comments: