Friday, April 11, 2008

An Octave Below

I've decided my musical tastes have changed quite a bit recently. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, maybe I just got bored with the metal and indie rock, or maybe now that I'm in college my demographic has changed what I listen to. Whatever the case now I frequently blare such artists as Talib Kweli, Jay-Z, and Kanye West from my speakers.

Yes indeed, Carl Laamanen, who once asserted rap was the lowest form of music(for the record it's actually grunge) now is a fan. I probably can't explain to you objectively why I become a fan, but nonetheless I have. Maybe some of it has to do with Draya, who enjoys hip-hop to a certain degree. But I really don't think it has anything to do with that, because I tend to listen to the more socially conscious rappers than the popular songs on the radio. Maybe I just wanted to branch out in music, and know a little bit about all of it. Maybe I discovered certain hip-hop that isn't all about sex, drugs, and violence. Maybe the beats stick in my head.

Whatever the case, I feel like presenting a small case for why certain hip-hop almost needs to be listened to, and while other artists should never be payed attention to ever again. I listen to some "Christian" hip-hop, and some of it is quite decent, but most of it can't compare to the production work done in the mainstream, and the talent of the MC's rapping is usually much less in the Christian realm.

Two of today's most popular hip-hop songs are "Crank Dat (Soulja Boy)" and "Low". Now before I go on a rant as to why these two songs in particular emphasize everything wrong with modern day hip-hop I will admit I know very little about the overall history of rap and it's many sub-genres. I do however know that the hip-hop played on the radio, with a few exceptions, is processed and simply made for the masses pushing messages that appeal to the sensual and matching that with plodding dance beats to get people moving.

Take for instance "Crank Dat (Soulja Boy)", which gained its popularity due to the dance that goes along with the song. Souja Boy is possibly the worst rapper I have ever heard. I have friends that can freestyle better than Soulja Boy. Now this might be almost forgivable if the music to the song was solid, but the production is weak and lacks any kind of emotion or creativity. Please don't get me started on these "amazing" lyrics...

"Soulja boy off in this ho, watch me crank it, watch me , watch me crank dat soulja boy, and superman that ho."

Never mind the obviously offensiveness and degradation to women in this song, that is only the beginning. Now I will admit many songs in the hip-hop world are very often filled with profanity and sexual references and as a general rule I avoid the more sexual songs, and listen to the edited versions of the others, yet still this line of lyrics is absolutely abhorrent. It doesn't even rhyme.

Now compare that to some lines from "Going Hard" by Talib Kweli, who unlike Soulja Boy actually can be comprehended while rapping and actually has something important to say.

"You busy screaming gangsta, gangsta all that talk is trite. You already lost the fight if you don't know the cost of life, these kids is forced to fight a war they can't outrun, ain't got no shoes but got a gun."

Kweli is actually a very spiritual MC, however he seems to normally presuppose a more every-road-leads-to-God mentality, but regardless of this at least he is trying to give a little hope than simply most hip-hop filled with depression and hatred. He is also known as a more political rapper, and yes many middle-class white people will not agree with his views, but I think it's important for us to at least understand the culture in which he speaks.

Another important aspect in hip-hop is storytelling. Now these stories are normally a bit more pg-13 rated then your average country song story, and they may not have as happy of an ending, but I think some portray an accurate picture of what goes on in the inner city. While song rappers revel in this and use it to get rich, others are actually trying to educate people and help those in the inner city. Those might be few and far between and, in fact, the reason they may be rapping about these things is that they were never educated themselves.

Now "Low" by Flo-Rida, has a much better musical backing than "Crank Dat (Soulja Boy)", however its lyrics are just as inane, and also show why mainstream rap music is considered by many a factor contributing to the further failing of our society. It's simplistic, silly, and quite honestly about nothing except a girl in a club.

"Apple bottom jeans, the boots with the fur, everyone in the club was looking at her."

That is the simple hook of the chorus, however the verses, surprisingly profanity free, are very sexual in nature playing to the sensual and actually promoting prostitution. Now that's a great song...note the sarcasm please.

As I've already stated it is almost hypocritical to point out the flaws in these songs when some of the songs I listen to have similar natures. However, like I said I stay away from those in general and at least know what they are about. Most people just know the hook of "Low" and don't know what kind of song it actually is, much like 50 Cent's "Candyshop" a few years ago.

Now let's revisit my friend Talib Kweli, who's music I've been on a kick lately. He has his share of semi-sexual songs but he also has one song that blows anything misogynistic out of the water. In his song "Won't You Stay" he details a relationship that he has been pursuing for years because he loves the women. He doesn't want to use her or abuse her, but he loves her.

"I got faith in us, it's only you who really know me, I be surrounded by people, and still feel lonely."

So there it is, some of the reasons I now like rap. Maybe it's because I want something new and exciting. Maybe I found artistry in something that I thought there was none in before. I'm not sure, but expect another one of these little musical exposes on Monday during public speaking class.

No comments: