We live our lives with our eyes open, taking in colors and movement, and even when we are asleep our dreams hint at vision, often distorting it. We trust our eyesight, often mistakenly, for almost everything. If we can't see it in front of us, we don't think it exists. And then comes that moment that shatters everything, a glimpse of something. A shadow flickering on the edge of vision, beckoning for you to follow it if only out of curiosity.
This moment is of utmost importance. In one instant a myriad of possibilities is laid out before you. Which way do you turn? Do you follow the glimpse or turn back to life before? Do you follow your eyes or your soul?
I live from glimpse to glimpse. Sometimes I don't notice them, but when I do they sustain me. They excite me for life and what the future holds. God gives me these glimpses every once in a while. It used to annoy me that I couldn't see my path laid out in front of me. I like this state of flux now. It means that I don't have to know exactly what my life holds, I just have to trust in God.
Every glimpse I get I hold onto like a treasure. Sometimes glimpses aren't from God, they might just be a reflection of something you enjoy and people around you. Sometimes they remind you of things God has already told you. But they are always there if you can see them.
And that's the trick isn't it? Seeing those things in the corner of your eye, the things that don't immediately stand out in life. Seeing the flicker of an opportunity and choosing to take it, succeed or fail. This is the breath of life, taking the chance on something unsure.
God rarely drops his plan right in front of our face. He puts it in the corner of our eye, and we may have to move from the path we are on or just make a minor correction to follow it.
God gave me one of the glimpses the other day and is continuing to confirm it in my life. I can't tell you how much I value even a little insight and direction from the Lord. And I can't help but wonder how much I still miss, looking straight ahead at my problems instead of searching at the edge of my vision.
"...and I'm ready to give you my heart."
No comments:
Post a Comment