It's 5:55 am.
"Can you hear the sky turn red?"
That's my cellphone alarm alerting me that I need to wake up. You may be asking, why do I need to wake up at 5:55 am? Actually, I was asking myself that very same question as I rolled out of bed, stumbled down the hallway into the bathroom and gathered my stuff for North Coast, an Ultimate tournament in Cleveland. Yes indeed, that is why I was awake, to go play ultimate with the Grove City College club team.
So there I sat waiting for Jimmy Pang, a good friend and frisbee phenom. He finally walked down the stairs and we headed for the SAC. It was freezing, and remained about the same temperature throughout the entire day. Needless to say we met up with the guys and boarded the bus and set off for Ohio.
As we powered eastward, the sun began to rise behind us. Now if you know me a decent amount, you know there is nothing more I love than sunrises and sunsets. I get to see a lot more of the latter than the former, mainly because I don't often find myself awake at 5:55 in the am. This one was beautiful, the soft gentle pinks contrasting with the bold orange as we rumbled past the outstretched trees lining the highway.
Despite getting lost a couple times we arrived on time at the Polo Grounds, the curious place where the tournament was being held. We collected the food that they gave us, and set out for our first game. We handily defeated Kent State 15-7, and I actually caught a goal, courtesy of Hunter Stewart, which basically made my day. But it was still freezing out.
We lost our next game to Bowling Green 14-13, and then beat Case Western B 15-8. I caught another goal in that one courtesy of the amazing Mark Lyon-Vaiden. We entered the final game, spirits high, and lost to Ohio Wesleyan 15-13. We retreated back to the warmth of the bus, took some more food, and headed back for the Grove. Of course, we managed to get lost again, and made a two hour ride at least a half hour, if not more, longer.
So there is my first real experience with Ultimate tournaments. I can't wait til I'm the one one the field the whole game, making those crucial throws. I love to play disc and I think today confirmed it. So if you'll excuse me I'm off to sleep....
Every new beginning…
11 years ago
2 comments:
"a good friend and frisbee phenom."
You should be slapped for the alliteration. . .
Haha anyhow i'm just glad you've changed your cell alarm. I've been getting VERY sick of hearing "due for a miracle..." every other day.
of course, my cell was on vibrate that night/morning. and my alarm didn't go off. we would've won all 4 games if i'd been there.
okay, we would've won all 4 if eric and billy had shown up. but i would've been the spirited (aka loud) moron on the sideline.
Post a Comment